- Mix the salt, cream of tartar and the flour in a metal pot on the stove.
- Add the peppermint extract, oil and water to the pot.
- Stir the mixture over medium heat for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. This could take 5 minutes.
- When the dough starts to form into a ball, remove the pan from the heat.
- Kneed the dough until it is smooth, being careful as this will be hot; option to use the kneading tool/wand on a kitchen aid mixer.
- Add the food coloring and knead it some more.
- Cool to room temperature, store in an air-tight container or plastic bag.
QUICK TIP: Use purchased play dough and knead in some peppermint extract or peppermint essential oil.
- 1 cup table salt
- 2 cups white flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon cream of tartar
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil or vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon peppermint extract or ¼ teaspoon peppermint essential oil
- Optional for pink: red food coloring
- Optional for bright red: a little red Kool-Aid powder